Tuesday, September 21, 2010

a long walk

I went to bed at a decent time last night, but without an alarm, my body decided to sleep in until 12:30!! I went downstairs, saw the clock and couldnt believe it. Monica and the girls were already out and about for the day. I had my first American meal this morning ... scrambled eggs and toast with marmalade. (Italians dont keep eggs in the refridgerator both at home and the store ... Is that sanitary??) I wanted to leave the house but was afraid I would do something wrong with the alarm. Thankfully Monica returned home to go for a jog and explained how to get back in after she set the alarm. Carrying a pen and paper (to write down the street names so I wouldnt get lost on my way back), I took off down the winding and very steep hill to the streets of San Benedetto del Tronto. On Tuesday and Friday mornings, there is a market open on the square ... I was late getting up, so by the time I got there they were already cleaning up. So I continued to the beach.

The Adriatic Sea is so blue!! Monica is going to let me borrow her bicycle so I can go on longer trips down to the beach. I reached the sea, but not where the sand is. I walked around the boats and these large rocks along the edge. The rocks have been sculpted by different artists. There are some pretty interesting ones!!

The rest of the afternoon seemed to fly by as soon as I got back to the house. One of the Italian coordinators for the language program came by to give me a few items for reference, I had some time with the girls to teach them English (we sang, "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes"), and we had dinner. There were many choices of things to eat tonight ... Left over pizza, zucchini stuffed with meat, gnocchi covered in cheese and tomato sauce, carrots in tomato sauce, and bread. After dinner, Monica's boss came over and brought some gelato!! Many different flavors and they were all so good :oD They put whisky on their ice cream?! It was very different ... Monica said it brings out the flavor. Hmmm, I think it just makes the gelato taste like whisky.

What I learned today:
When I asked Monica if she could tell an Italian just based on their appearance without hearing them talk, she said she can usually based on their shoes ... and style of clothing. I find this interesting because when I went on my walk today, people would look down at my shoes first and then the rest of my outfit ... My choice of shoes: toms. I dont think Italians have ever seen them before haha. I wonder if they know Im American based on my shoes ...
There is no microwave in this house; The toaster doesn't go down, you just set the timer; Im not sure I really know how to use flush the toilet :o)

All is well on this end!! Im thankful for the things Im learning and the conversations Ive had. Thank you for your prayers, please continue.

Grace and peace,
Jodi

1 comment:

  1. Hey sweetheart! The food sounds great, and thinking about your smile is even better...I can't wait to stand next to the ocean with you :o) I'm praying for you and the girls...and i love you more than words can tell <3

    ever thinking about you,
    Tristan

    ReplyDelete