Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I like to ride my bicycle

Not having an alarm does not help if you dont want to sleep in past a certain time ... However, Monica and I usually dont get to bed until close to midnight each day, so Im getting my rest in :oP I dont see how she is able to get up every morning to get the girls ready for school and then get to work!

This morning/afternoon I stayed around the house. I made some breakfast, same old eggs and toast, and then put on a new pair of jeans that Monica gave me. (She had a bag of clothes that she was going to be giving away that dont fit her anymore. She let me go through them to see what fits ... The Lord provides in His time. Im learning ... but I would still like to have my luggage sometime this week.) I was able to spend some good time in the Word. The Lord led me to the Psalms which provided great comfort and strength during a time when I was feeling down. I checked my email and facebook, which was great because I was able to talk to my fiancee!!!

When Monica and Nicole got home, I finished up on the computer and when to watch Wizards of Waverly Place on T.V. with Nicole ... in Italian, of course. She switched it over to English for me, but I told her to switch it back (much more enjoyable for her lol). Then I got to meet Sergio's mother. She is a very sweet lady! She did not speak any English. One of the things I love about the Italian culture is the way they great one another with a kiss on both cheeks :o)

In the evening, Monica had to take Nicole to volleyball practice, and she took me to her mother's house to pick up her bicycle! I rode it from her mother's house to the beach!!! I walked along the beach with my camera and picked up shells and rocks to take home. (I found some good ones, Callie!!) Then I peddled my way back to my Italian home, but I had to walk once I got to their huge hill ... Its quite a challenge!!

Monica cooked dinner for the family, as she does every night. Tonight she baked fish (I dont remember what kind she said it was). It was covered in a tomato sauce with olive oil, garlic, and rosemary. I think Monica goes to the store every single day because there are always fresh ingredients! Im amazed :o) Monica's mother came over tonight for dinner. She was sweet, and like Sergio's mother, she did not speak any English. It is funny that even though we dont speak the same language, there are things or sayings that we can both understand and laugh about them. Im thankful for laughter!!

There were so many good things to happen today! More recently, I think about how bad things are here simply because Im not near people I love and the familiar, but God continues to show me happiness through the little things, and blessings He gives me each and every day. Im so thankful I was able to talk with Tristan, my mom, and other friends on facebook chat :oD Im so encouraged by people from back home who are praying for me! I know God has a purpose for me being here; although, sometimes it may be hard for me to see. 

I cant wait to post pictures of the Adriatic Sea I touched today!! So blue!! I hope to go back again each day to read while the weather stays nice :o)

What I learned today:
The cars in Italy are small. The streets of San Benedetto are narrow. The sidewalks are for pedestrians only. With parked cars on both sides of the street, it doesnt leave much room for one to ride their bicycle ... but it is done that way! So imagine me (not the most coordinated bike rider in the world, but I do enjoy it), getting my bike-riding bearings about me and already intimidated by the fact I know Im going to be riding inches away from moving vehicles ... I walk the bike to the corner, and try to get on. Ha! Fail ... Not sure what happened, but I kind of fell over to the other side, catching myself with my foot. I dont think anyone saw :oP It was a most enjoyable ride once I got used to riding in between cars. I followed more experienced riders as they rode in between cars so they didnt have to stop at the lights. Thankfully, there are green lanes on the road down by the beach for bike riders ... Much more spacious!! No worries, I made it back to the house without injuring myself or anyone's car!! :oD Cant wait to try it again tomorrow!!

Im thankful for this opporunity; however, it is proving to be difficult at times to be away from the familiar. I know there is much to learn here. The Lord is good and He has not left me here in Italy alone.

Grace and peace,
Jodi

4 comments:

  1. You are posting up a storm and putting our little "oops-we-haven't-posted-in-two-weeks" blog entries to shame lady! ;) Loving the updates and so thankful you are enjoying yourself in Italy. We miss you so much and can't wait until December when we see you again. Love you Jodi!

    Amy & Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodi, I absolutley enjoy reading your updates, they are so interesting. I'm excited to keep hearing about how God is using you for the good of his Kingdom in Italy. I can't wait for the next update. We are praying for you always! We love you and miss you!! ---- oh and do u have your phone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is so encouraging! Haha, I'm glad you're having a blessed time, when it's hard, and when it's not. I can't wait to hear about the fruit God will bear in your heart and soul. Soaking up the sun in Italy, laughing with a family, waging war against loneliness and discouragement, blessing others with your heart and smile...God has given you an amazing life...and I'm the most blessed man in the world to get to share it with you :o)

    Here for you always,
    Tristan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy - Haha, that's because I'm spending too much time on the computer!! :o) There will come a day when I don't get on because I have somewhere I want to go or need to be ... maybe ;o)

    Jessica - Thank you for your prayers!! I do not have my phone with me ... the charges are outrageous :oP But I'm on facebook and this blog ... and you should get skype!!

    Tristan - Thank you for the encouragement and I'm blessed to hear you are encouraged!!

    ReplyDelete