Monday, October 18, 2010

Pens, Plants, Pasta, and ... Rainbows!!


I don’t even know where to begin!! There have been so many things going on :oD
Sergio and Monica got back from Paris on Thursday. I had such a great time with Danilo, Rosita, and their two boys, Leonardo and Francesco. Rosita is such a sweet hearted woman! She remembers things that I tell her and shows how much she cares by how kind she is to everyone. For example, Rosita has a plant outside her house that is a kind of fern that closes when you touch it. I told her a story about when I was a kid and saw that plant and was so amazed! I have always wanted to find out what it was and get one for my home. One day, she took me to a plant store and bought me a fern!! We named it Italy :o) On Sunday, Roberta and Rosita showed me these pens (certain brand I didn’t write down, and therefore forgot) they had that were absolutely beautiful and expensive. They are popular gifts given to children who have their communion (not theirs of course lol). I confessed I have this fetish for pens :o) Rosita remembered this and when she showed me where she works, she grabbed a handful of pens for me to have. But that’s not it! Thursday after lunch, my last lunch with the family, Danilo and Rosita presented me with a gift (which they shouldn’t have because they opened their home to me and let me invade their lives for the past 5 days). It is a beautiful pink pen with a gem on top!! So wonderful!! Wednesday, I had stayed home with the boys by myself because it is a holiday for San Benedetto in order to honor the saint of the town. That went well. Leonardo skateboarded with a friend and Francesco read, but then when I wasn’t looking got into the sweets. I came upstairs thinking he had been awfully quiet, and sure enough, he had Nutella around his mouth :oP haha! That afternoon, we were invited to Rosita’s sister, Romena’s house for lunch. (The Sunday with Rosita’s family was Romena’s daughter, Bianca’s 1 month birthday.) Great lunch!! Always so much food :o)

It was great being back with Sergio, Monica, and the girls, like going home after a trip somewhere; however, I will be so much more excited about coming back to the states :oD

Friday I made so many great games for the girls to play with me and practice their English. I made a board game that has numbers for each space and when you land on that space, you have to draw from the pile with the corresponding number. Then you have to do what it says. One pile is telling time, another is telling me the Italian word in English, another for performing an action, such as “walk to the door,” etc. We all played together and had so much fun!! Greta won :o) Friday night, I skyped with my friend, Kaci. Back in Durant, the Women’s Ministry was having a pumpkin carving party. Kaci took her laptop and carried me around … Such a wonderful friend to me!! It was so great seeing those familiar faces :o)

Saturday afternoon, the family (myself included) went to Ascoli. There was an antique market they have every 3rd weekend of the month. So many neat things!! Had some pizza, walked around, and found an awesome store with really pretty home decorating things. I spent too much time in there lol. When we got back to San Benedetto, we went to the cinema. We wanted to see Cattivissimo Me, but it was sold out, so Sergio took the girls while Monica and I went to see the movie with Cameron Diaz and Tom Cruise (not sure what it’s called in English). Monica didn’t like it; I didn’t understand it (Italian ha).

Sunday was the day I was looking forward to the most!! I was told we were going with two other families (Danilo and Rosita’s included) to the mountains to eat at this famous restaurant that makes a special plate of pasta. The drive through the mountains was absolutely beautiful!! Fall has arrived and the trees were changing colors revealing red, orange, and yellow leaves amongst the abundance of green. We made it to the village, Amatrice (pronounced Amatriche). The restaurant is called Ristorante Roma. I was told many people from Rome come to Amatrice on the weekends to shop and spend time away from the big city. Settled high in the mountains and overlooking the mountains and valley between, it was an absolutely breathtaking view! Our table was next to the window, and we were blessed to see 3 rainbows during our meal!! First there was one, and then another appeared. Those went away, and later another came out :oD So beautiful!! I stared out the window a lot between courses … There was a sheep farm in the valley below, and they were being herded here and there. The rainbow and sheep were a reminder to me how God is always true to who He is and will lead us. We have to be willing to follow and recognize His voice.
The meal was excellent!! 5 courses … Started off with prosciutto, sausage, and bread … Then the first plate of Amatriciana, made with bucatini (like spaghetti, but these have hole in the middle) was with a white sauce and pieces of fried pig cheek (tasted like bacon) … Next the second plate of Amatriciana made with a tomato sauce … Our main course included sheep kabob, lamb cooked two different ways (grilled and in a gravy type sauce, both delicious), salad, french fries, and grilled potato wedges … For dessert we had fresh cut fruit in a sugar syrup, tiramisu, and a lemon pie (I went for the fruit and tiramisu) … And of course, our meal is never complete without an espresso :o) We all left extremely full. I think we sat there for over 3 hours!
Our day was not complete there!! On our way to Amatrice we passed a Festa d’ Autunno in the village of Acquasanta which was a celebration of chestnut season. They had little booths set up everywhere selling cheeses, meats, sweets, candies, crepes, olives, wine, and of course, chestnuts.
Such a great evening!! So blessed to be here and blessed to have the people I have in my life!! I’m taking it all in; I’m not taking a moment for granted … I’m in Italy!! :oD

One month down today … Two months left!

Grace and peace,
Jodi

No comments:

Post a Comment