Monday, October 25, 2010

Always Playing Catch-Up ... I'll Get Better :o)

Where to begin?! This has been such a good week :o) The weather has been beautiful!! Each day I got out and rode Monica’s bicycle. One day, I went exploring and climbed a winding hill with many big houses. When I reached the top there was a dead-end, but the view was spectacular!! There was an old, Italian woman watching me from her balcony. She waved at me, which just made my day :o) Another day, I decided to buy some gelato and eat it on the beach. The man spoke a little bit of English … I forgot with the small you can choose up to 3 flavors :oD Don’t remember what I got, but he gave me a purple spoon!!

One night there was a birthday party for one of Greta’s friends at an indoor playground. That was lots of fun lol … I saw Cattivissimo Me (Despicable Me) at the cinema. It was really cute!! I want to see it in English when I get back.
Friday I went to the market in the morning, not looking for anything in particular. Monica had asked me if one morning I could look for some pumpkins we can carve. I looked in stores on Thursday, but there were no whole pumpkins. The market had some!! I bought two small ones for the girls. We are supposed to carve them tomorrow night (Tuesday). I also bought some interesting fruit … Renette, which is a type of apple that I didn’t like too much, and then Kaki, which is a very squishy fruit that is bright orange with thin skin and juicy and sweet on the inside. I like Kaki!! Friday night I went with Sergio and Monica to Montegranaro in Sant’Elpidio a Mare which is the area in Italy where shoes are made … Yes, the handmade Italian leather shoes. The shoemakers sell their shoes in stores, but many have there workshops next to their homes and a small shop next to that. So, I thought we were going to a store, but when we turned into someone’s driveway, I was a little confused :o) The man had such beautiful shoes!! There were magnificent details!! They were expensive, too!! After that, we went to an outlet mall where we looked in Tod’s and Prada. I watched all the Italians as consumers and thought of the large amounts of money they spend, spend, spend. Truly, the Italian people are very consumed with fashion and appearance. Eyes wander when you walk by to see what you’re wearing. Too much fashion for me :oP

Greta has been warming up to me a lot lately :oD  We have been playing an Italian card game (I kinda just had to learn as I go lol)and Pick Up Sticks!! So much fun!! She also likes to have me watch her play Sims on the computer.
Saturday was a blessing!! I was riding the bicycle Friday night before we left for the shoe place and God really got a hold of my heart. I saw these people and I desperately wanted to share the Gospel with them. I want them to know what God has done and how much He loves them. I continue to use the excuse that I can’t speak to any of them because I don’t know Italian. So I prayed that the Lord would use me for His purpose and lead me to whatever he would have me to do. So, I had my Bible, spiral, and journal in my basket and I rode into town. There are so many places to go and sit … by the beach, along the pedestrian only zone, somewhere on a bench … I prayed for God to lead me. I found a spot in the sun a little off from the pedestrian zone, but still a high traffic walking area. I sat down and began writing John 3:16 in Italian on small pieces of paper so I can hand them to people I meet. (The Word of God is sharper than any double-edged sword!) As I was sitting there, listening to music, and writing, a group of women with their children walked up and sat down on whatever it is you call it that I was sitting on :o) I prayed, “Lord, is this someone you have sent just for me??” With a little hesitation, but faith, I asked the woman if she spoke English. When she said, “Yes,” my jaw almost hit the ground. How amazing!! She asked where I was from and she told me she spent 3 years in New York. She lives here now and has one son, and she is due in February (which is why they had to stop because she needed to sit down). I gave her one of the verses I had written and she asked if I was a Christian. I told her I was and that I go to a Baptist church back in the states. She said she has faith and that it is a wonderful thing that we ran into each other. I told her that God put us both in this exact spot for a purpose, and I knew that we were supposed to meet. I asked if she needed prayer for anything and she said for her husband. We exchanged numbers and she said she wanted to meet to talk and pray sometime!! God is always faithful and works in such magnificent ways!! I’m looking forward to seeing her again and being able to encourage each other in the faith. Her name is Vivianna. Please pray for her and her family.

Saturday night, we met Monica’s mom, Paula, her brother, his wife, their two kids, and also Monica’s aunt and uncle at a pizzeria on the beach. They served a seafood salad (I think there was shrimp, octopus, and squid in it), mussels, and about 6 different kinds of pizza. Then came the dessert :oD White chocolate gelato with sprinkles of sugar and white chocolate on top and coffee gelato on the inside. I left one bite in my bowl so I would feel better about not eating it all, and they laughed at me. It was really, really good :o) After dinner, we walked along the beach … At midnight, Monica, Sergio, Nicole, and Greta broke out in “Happy Birthday!!” When we got home, they had presents for me to open … I’m so blessed with this family!!
Sunday was my birthday!! I got to sleep in :o) When the family got back from church, I played a few games with the girls and then we left for an old, traditional Italian restaurant that Sergio used to work at when he was in college. We had all of Monica’s family there (like Saturday night, minus the aunt and uncle, but with her other brother, Marco and his wife and two girls), along with Marina (Matteo’s mom), her husband, and daughter, Sylvia, and Danilo, Rosita, Leonardo, and Francesco. There were a lot of people at our table :o) But I noticed that is very common at restaurants in Italy. So great!! Another really cool thing is we got there around 1 and we didn’t leave until almost 5!! That’s nearly a four hour lunch!! Italians are very laid back lol … I got to sit by Sergio, so he gave me all the information about the foods we were eating: Gesuiti, Bauletti, Maccheroncini, Giardiniera, Fagioli, Olive Ascolane (the famous dish from this area, fried olives with meat inside … gross! But to be honest, I tried them, and they were the best I have tasted so far), Cremini, Lamb, Pork, and a surprise birthday cake!! After the long lunch, we came back to the house for just a short bit, and then went to the square to walk around. There were so many people out and about … The night life here is so different from what I’ve known :o)

Today I was alone all day … Monica went to Tuscany for work, Sergio went to Rome for work, the girls were at their grandmother’s the night before because Monica and Sergio left before dawn. I spent the morning out on the patio soaking up the sun, copying recipes from Monica’s cookbooks, and waiting for a package from my wonderful fiancée (it should arrive before the package from my amazing family) No package … Hopefully tomorrow!! I was supposed to meet Giovanna in the afternoon, but she called and said she had a lot of homework and a test tomorrow, so I spent all afternoon and evening in town. Bought a few gifts, exchanged a present, and enjoyed the fresh air and time God has given me in such a beautiful place. It has been a good day, a little lonely, but good time for reflection :o)

People continue to ask Monica if I’m coming back to Italy next year. They are interested in the organization and then ask if I can come teach their families English … I’ve been asked to stay 9 months next year so I can be with three different families lol. So if you know of anyone interested in Italy, there are many families wanting to host someone to stay with them and teach them English … No teaching certificate required :o)

Grace and peace,
Jodi

2 comments:

  1. I'm so thankful and happy to hear that you are experiencing what you were hoping to (and more!) in Italy. I would totally sign up too, but I think Baby and Kevin might have a problem with that. ;)

    ReplyDelete